Tiramisu may have been my first love. I remember my best friend, Ashley, and I on a mission to find the BEST tiramisu at the age of 7. We would find and test recipes, and try them at any restaurant that had one on the menu. To this day I still order tiramisu almost every time that I see it on the menu. This is, of course, for research purposes. 🙂
Last year, I found a tiramisu recipe that my friend and I would make at our sleepovers… It was scribbled down in really messy handwriting in an old notebook. I probably had not made this recipe in 20 years, so I was so excited to find it!
I decided to make it a bit more “healthy”. So I replaced the heavy cream with coconut cream, used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar, and added a coffee and Kahlua mixture that I love. This resulted in the BEST tiramisu that I have probably ever made, and I call it my favorite Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu.
My favorite Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu recipe is fresh and light. It does not taste like coconut, especially when made with coconut cream without preservatives. This is also because there is marscapone cheese in the recipe.
It’s got the perfect balance of cocoa, coffee and kahlua.
The lady fingers are soaked to perfection (my favorite way for a tiramisu to be), and the marscapone/coconut cream mixture has the most velvety creamy texture.
And this Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu tastes wonderful with berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries to be exact. You really have to add berries and mint leaves on top, and then extra berries in your bowl. 🙂
Berries add a nice pop of color and really enhance all the flavors in this dessert.
And small hints of mint are so refreshing!
This recipe is not Paleo, buuuut if I’m going to be eating Paleo 80% of the time, I certainly would like this Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu to be part of the other 20%. 🙂
For a tiramisu lover, I know that there are many different kinds of tiramisu.
Some have more of an almond flavor, some have more of a coffee flavor. There are also some where the lady fingers are more dry, and others where they are more wet.
My personal favorite are ones with more of a coffee and kahlua flavor ( I’m not a fan of the almond flavored ones), and that have thoroughly wet lady fingers (not too dry, yet not with too much extra liquid on the bottom).
This recipe reflects my tiramisu preferences. So if that’s your favorite type, this recipe is for you!
FYI- After 25 years of searching for the best tiramisu. I did indeed find it! The best tiramisu of ALL TIME is from a small yet busy restaurant in Florence called Trattoria Cammillo.
I found it in a book that my brother bought me when I graduated law school called “Where Chefs Eat“.
The tiramisu from Trattoria Cammillo was not particularly pretty. It was yellow in color, and was scooped onto a plate like pudding. But let me tell you, if there was a tiramisu heaven, this tiramisu would be it. Hands down. I’ve never tasted anything like it and I dream about when I can go back to try it again.
Also, this restaurant had the BEST handmade pasta bolognese that I have ever had. It was a rare treat to have such amazing food. Food that really raises your bar high oh how Italian food should taste. It’s the kind of hidden gem that I am always on the hunt for, especially when traveling.
If you are in Florence, I highly recommend making a pit stop at Trattoria Cammillo for lunch.
- 1 can of coconut cream (14 ounces) (with no preservatives, Savoy is great), refrigerated at least over night or frozen 2 hours
- 16 ounces marscapone cheese
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dark coffee
- ½ cup kahlua
- ½ tsp cinnamon (for the coffee mixture)
- 1 package of lady fingers (7 oz / 200 g)
- 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder (divided)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (divided, for layering)
- optional: berries and mint leaves on top
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut cream until it forms a whipped cream texture (you can also do this in a food processor)
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut sugar into the marscapone cheese. Then, fold the marscapone cheese into the whipped coconut cream. Make sure to gently fold the marscapone into the coconut cream, don't mix it or you won't get the right texture.
- In a medium bowl, mix the coffee, kahlua, and ½ tsp cinnamon together. Dunk ½ of the lady fingers into the coffee, making sure the liquid soaks through. I like to hold each lady finger under the coffee/kahlua mixture and count to 2.
- Put ½ soaked lady fingers on the bottom of a glass baking dish (10-11 of them) (Mine was 8x8 inches), then top the lady fingers with ½ of the coconut cream mixture. Add ¼ tsp cinnamon and ½ Tbs of cocoa powder on top of the coconut cream mixture. Soak the other ½ of the lady fingers in the coffee mixture, and put on top of the cream in the dish. Top with the remaining coconut cream mixture. Top with ½ Tbs cocoa powder, ¼ tsp cinnamon, and berries/ mint leaves.
- Cover and refridgerate for 4-6 hours, or overnight.