I have always loved egg salad. There’s just something so satisfying about the texture and flavor of hardboiled eggs mixed with mayonnaise. At least for a mayo lover like me, that is.
I normally eat egg salad with bread, so I hadn’t had it in quite some time… I’ve been trying to limit my gluten intake and took a hiatus from Paleo baking while doing the Whole30. Why Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps didn’t come to my mind sooner is beyond me, BUT better late than never!
I actually didn’t come up with this idea on my own… ( I was inspired by a restaurant that I went to recently) but, I’m glad that I can make these bad boys as often as I now choose!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that I posted a photo of a delicious egg salad wrap that I had while on a weekend trip… maybe two weeks ago.
My husband and I drove up to the Boston area, which took us oh about 6 hours…which was longer than expected, but which wasn’t toooooo bad considering some of the road trips we have taken when we lived in Texas or Florida.
Though, 6 hours on a Friday and 6 hours on a Sunday was a lot for one weekend.
Anyways, we went to this healthy restaurant called Ruta Raw Juice Bar in Canton Massachusetts. I noticed egg salad wraps on the menu and happily ordered some.
It was SO yummy! It came with bacon, radishes, cucumbers and sprouts on top. Which was absolutely delightful. And it was so good to eat fresh food that fueled my body while traveling.
Since the Whole30 has ended, I noticed that I have been stomach aches when I eat out at restaurants, and I can’t pinpoint what is causing this but, I was relieved to find something Paleo and healthy while being away from home.
I also realized that my love of egg salad could be enjoyed SO MUCH more often if I made wraps at home.
To make these, you first have to start off by making hard boiled eggs. One trick that I like doing is putting baking soda into the boiling water with the eggs because this makes them super easy to peel. 🙂
Then, once you peel your eggs, crush them up and mix them with some Paleo mayo, and season it to your liking. You can use homemade Paleo mayo or store bought Paleo mayo… I love that there is now Paleo mayo in stores now, by the way!
Then take large leaves of Boston lettuce ( or any lettuce that you want to use to make a wrap with), and fill it with some of your egg salad.
Lastly top your wrap with some crispy bacon, sliced radishes, diced cucumbers, and halved cherry tomatoes. These add a nice crunch and all of these toppings add such nice fresh flavor to the wraps.
Honestly, next time you make egg salad, add some radishes, cucumbers, bacon, and tomatoes to it… SO good!
These Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps are oh soooo yummy and keeps you oh so full! Plus they are Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free.
I think I might have to make these Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps about once a week now. 🙂
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbs of Paleo Mayo (I like Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo, or making my own)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large leaves of Boston Lettuce (or any lettuce of your choice)
- 2 radishes, sliced and quartered
- ¼ of a cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 pieces of bacon
- Put a sprinkle of salt and ¼ tsp of baking soda into a pot of water and boil the water. Using a large spoon, lower the eggs (one at a time) into the pot and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Peel all 4 eggs and place them into a medium bowl. Mash the eggs with a fork.
- Add 1 Tbs of Paleo Mayo to the bowl and mix into the eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Put 2 pieces of bacon onto a plate and wrap it up with paper towels. Cook for 3.5 minutes in the microwave, until crispy. Crumble the bacon up.
- Take 4 lettuce of the leaves of lettuce and divide the egg salad evenly among all 4 leaves. Add the radish, cucumber and cherry tomato pieces on top. Sprinkle all 4 lettuce wraps with the bacon.
- This recipe makes 4 lettuce wraps, which should serve 2 people (though my husband can eat all 4 himself).