All you need is maple syrup, coconut cream, coconut butter, salt and vanilla. It is so easy and simple, and so multi-purpose, that there is no reason not to make this!This recipe started off as an experiment. I had never made caramel sauce before, let alone attempt to make it Paleo, so I was really excited when this sauce was so easy to make.
I was even more excited when it tasted so authentically delicious! A buttery, sweet, rich, creamy caramel… yum yum yum! There really is nothing like the flavor and texture of a rich creamy caramel sauce.
After eating a few spoonfuls (I couldn’t resist), I immediately thought of all of the wonderful uses for this delicious caramel. As a dipping sauce for apples, bananas, or any fruit… on top of brownies, crumble, cupcakes, cake, ice cream… this sauce changes everything!
This recipe was shared on the AIP recipe roundtable.
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Put the maple syrup, coconut cream, coconut butter, salt, and vanilla in a pan and whisk well.
- Set the stovetop heat to high until the mixture starts to boil and then immediately set it to low heat.
- Let the mixture sit and thicken, but don't forget to whisk it from time to time at the beginning.
- You'll need to whisk it more frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Once the mixture is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon, turn off the heat.
- I let the mixture cook for 22 minutes.
- Then pour the sauce into a bowl or container and let cool OR let it cool in the pan and pour into a container or bowl after.
- This recipe yeilds ½ cup of caramel sauce.