I’ve been wanting fish lately but not the way that I normally prepare it. Do you ever just get bored of your food routine? Normally I bake fish in the oven drizzled in some lemon, which is great, but today I wanted something different. Then fish cakes popped into mind. I had never made them before, so I was up for the challenge.
I wasn’t exactly sure how to start. I thought of flavors that I love with white fish, such as garlic, lemon, and thyme… And before I knew it, these Crispy Lemon-Thyme Fish Cakes were born. These are so delicious that I felt like I had gone out to dinner and ordered them. I could just gobble them all up in one sitting!
To start, I cooked the tilapia in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I then used two forks to break apart the fish into small pieces. Then, I mixed together the lemon juice, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme, and mustard in a separate bowl. I added the tilapia and 1/2 cup of almond flour to the mixture and mixed it all together with a fork.After that, I put 1 cup of almond flour in a plate. I formed patties/ little cakes out of 1/4 cups worth of the meat and then covered each cake with almond flour. Then, I put them in the fridge for 30 minutes, so that they would hold together better.
After the half hour was up, I heated up some olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan and cooked each side of the fish cake for 4 minutes each. This was just enough time for each side to become golden and crispy.
- 1.3 pounds tilapia ( 6 filets)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh thyme ( I removed the leaves from the stick until I had 1 tsp of thyme)
- 1 Tbs horseradish mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 1-1.5 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil and put some olive oil on the surface of the aluminum foil. Place the tilapia filets on top and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the tilapia is out of the oven and has cooled a little, use two forks to break apart the fish into little pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lemon juice, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme together with a whisk until well blended. Then add the fish and ½ cup of almond flour to the mixture and mix well with a fork.
- Put 1 cup of almond flour on a plate.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring scoop, scoop some of the fish mixture and form it into a pattie/ cake in your hands. Dunk the top and bottom of each cake in the almond flour mixture that is on the plate and then place the finished fish cakes on a separate plate.
- Put the fish cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes is up, heat 1 tbs (add more if you think you need it) of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook each fish cake for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4 minutes. Each side should be golden and crispy.
- Remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel before serving.
- Makes 8 fish cakes