I’ve been wanting fish lately but not the way that I normally prepare it. Do you ever just get bored of your food routine? Normally I bake fish in the oven drizzled in some lemon, which is great, but today I wanted something different. Then fish cakes popped into mind. I had never made them before, so I was up for the challenge.
I wasn’t exactly sure how to start. I thought of flavors that I love with white fish, such as garlic, lemon, and thyme… And before I knew it, these Crispy Lemon-Thyme Fish Cakes were born. These are so delicious that I felt like I had gone out to dinner and ordered them. I could just gobble them all up in one sitting!
To start, I cooked the tilapia in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I then used two forks to break apart the fish into small pieces.
Then, I mixed together the lemon juice, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme, and mustard in a separate bowl. I added the tilapia and 1/2 cup of almond flour to the mixture and mixed it all together with a fork.
After that, I put 1 cup of almond flour in a plate. I formed patties/ little cakes out of 1/4 cups worth of the meat and then covered each cake with almond flour. Then, I put them in the fridge for 30 minutes, so that they would hold together better.
After the half hour was up, I heated up some olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan and cooked each side of the fish cake for 4 minutes each. This was just enough time for each side to become golden and crispy.
These Crispy Lemon-Thyme Fish Cakes transform regular fish into something unique and delicious. They were awesome on a salad with some homemade vinaigrette.
Now that I know how easy these are to make, I’m anxious to try to make fish cakes out of tuna and salmon.
If you love crab cakes and fish in general, then you’ll love these!
- 1.3 pounds tilapia ( 6 filets)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh thyme ( I removed the leaves from the stick until I had 1 tsp of thyme)
- 1 Tbs horseradish mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 1-1.5 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil and put some olive oil on the surface of the aluminum foil. Place the tilapia filets on top and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the tilapia is out of the oven and has cooled a little, use two forks to break apart the fish into little pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lemon juice, eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme together with a whisk until well blended. Then add the fish and ½ cup of almond flour to the mixture and mix well with a fork.
- Put 1 cup of almond flour on a plate.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring scoop, scoop some of the fish mixture and form it into a pattie/ cake in your hands. Dunk the top and bottom of each cake in the almond flour mixture that is on the plate and then place the finished fish cakes on a separate plate.
- Put the fish cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes is up, heat 1 tbs (add more if you think you need it) of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook each fish cake for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4 minutes. Each side should be golden and crispy.
- Remove them from the pan and place on a paper towel before serving.
- Makes 8 fish cakes