These last few months have been jam packed… so much to do, so little time! Despite not having much time, I still like to eat at home. It’s cheaper and healthier. Plus, I feel so much better, which I think is my body’s way of letting me know to keep cooking at home.
Which is why quick healthy dinners have been a life saver for me. Like this Quick Provencal Red Pepper Chicken. Delicious! Roasted red peppers and herbs de provence are the perfect chicken companions for this scrumptious fast dinner.Cooking this dish made my house smell amazing! There’s nothing like cooking onions, garlic, and red pepper until they are nice and caramelized and then topping those flavors with tomato. Yum! I’m making myself want to make this dish all over again.
Tomatoes, red peppers, and herbs de provence make me think of Provence. A pinch of these herbs transforms the smell and taste of this dish and for a small moment I think of lavender fields, olive tapenade, and sunflowers! Sigh, I’d love to go back. But, until I do… this sauce will do.
I enjoyed using Pomi chopped tomatoes here. They come in a cardboard container and are made of only tomatoes. Which sounds normal, but is abnormally hard to find. Look at the tomato brands at the store and you’ll find that they all have something other than tomatoes in there. Which is why I reach for Pomi every time.
I paired this Quick Provencal Red Pepper Chicken with some leftover Celery Root Mash that I had in the fridge. It was the perfect Paleo meal after a long day at work.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1.5-2 pounds of chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ of a yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped tomato (Pomi brand)
- 4 mushrooms sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pepper to taste
- ¾ tsp herbs de provence
- Put 1 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Mince the garlic and onion with a food processor. Put the garlic and onion into the pan and mix it with the oil. Let the onion and garlic cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the slice red pepper and mushroom and let cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the chicken and cover it in salt, pepper, the red pepper flakes, and the herbs de provence. Let the chicken cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook the chicken for 10 more minutes.