10 min. 15 min.
Mushrooms and alfredo compliment one another so well. I always kind of knew that, but didn’t really realize it until I made this Mushroom Alfredo sauce the other day. The earthy mushroom flavor melts into the rich creaminess of this coconut cream and cauliflower based sauce.
Making this Mushroom Alfredo sauce also solidified my belief that you can have a creamy, savory, and rich alfredo sauce made without dairy! I love being able to have a delicious alfredo sauce made of all natural, non-processed ingredients. I loved it so much when I made it that I knew I had to make it again and post it here.
It is kind of crazy to think about a creamy alfredo being made without dairy, but it is possible! I already tried this out with a Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce (paleo) and I just can’t get enough of the both of them. They are so satisfying, especially when you are craving something creamy and savory.
This Mushroom Alfredo sauce takes advantage of the cauliflower trend and is also mixed with coconut cream and diced mushrooms. For those of you who do not like coconut, it doesn’t taste anything like coconut! I find that many people get surprised when they use coconut milk or coconut flour in cooking and baking and it doesn’t turn out to taste like coconut. It’s healthier, so why not use it!
I used cremini mushrooms here because they are more earthy in taste, but any type of mushroom would do. I also minced the mushrooms in a food processor for this recipe. The last time that I made it, I chopped them and found that I liked the mushroom flavor but didn’t like having mushy mushrooms to bite into. Mincing them fixed the problem and really spread the mushroom flavor throughout the sauce.
This sauce was really great on spaghetti squash. I also added some grilled chicken for a quick easy Paleo dinner. The best part about this sauce, and about cooking in general, is how easy it is to make your own! You can add a bit more garlic, a dash of salt or pepper, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, a twig of rosemary… and pair it with anything you choose. Enjoy
This recipe was shared at the AIP Recipe Rountable.
- 7 cloves of garlic
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 10 cremini mushrooms minced
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2.5 tsp salt, pepper to taste
- ½ can of coconut cream OR put the canned coconut milk in the fridge and use the cream on top- half of can
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Boil water and put the cauliflower in. Cook for 14 minutes, strain, and then set aside.
- Put 1 tbs olive oil in a big pan and set heat to medium.
- Mince the garlic and the onion in a food processor.
- Put the garlic and onion in the pan and mix into the oil. Let cook for 3-4 minutes (mix often so they don't burn)
- Add the 10 minced cremini mushrooms to the pan and cook for 7 minutes.
- Put the cooked cauliflower in a blender and blend until smooth. This should yield about 3.5 cups of mashed cauliflower.
- Add the mashed cauliflower to the pan, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ½ can of coconut cream and the ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Add ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste.
- Lower the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, while stirring every so often.