Mmmm! Strawberry shortcake— I almost forgot what this tasted like! Until now! Part cake, part biscuit— this Paleo Strawberry Shortcake is the best crumbly, sweet, and refreshing strawberry dessert that I have had in a loonng time. Topped with some Paleo whipped cream and some fresh cut strawberries, this truly is the perfect strawberry dessert. Where is the whipped cream you ask? Keep Reading. 🙂
The best part about this recipe is that there are just so many ways to eat these strawberry shortcakes. Alone. Topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Sitting in lots of whipped cream with a side of strawberries. Even as shortcake sandwiches with whipped cream in the middle. These are good anyway, anyhow…warm out of the oven or refrigerated.
I made a few sandwiches and kept them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before tasting them… so delicious!
I think my favorite was eating these warm with a dollop of whipped cream on top. I was about to post that this was the best way to eat them, when my boyfriend said he preferred them as sandwiches and cold and to make sure that I put that on my blog… haha. To each their own; you really can’t go wrong!
Warm or cold, its nice to be eating an all-natural, non-processed version of strawberry shortcake… I can’t believe that I almost forgot what it tasted like! These will definitely be a repeat in my house.
Making whipped cream out of coconut cream was a bit difficult to figure out, but I think I finally got it. I used a stand mixer and put one can of coconut cream, 1 tbs of honey, 1 tbs of maple syrup and 3 tbs of vanilla and mixed it all together for a few minutes. Then, I put the whole thing in the fridge, including the metal bowl, for 45 minutes. I removed it and mixed it again for a few minutes- this time it thickened up. I put the bowl again in the fridge for another 45 minutes. After that, I mixed it once more and it finally turned into whipped cream. I’m sure there are other ways of doing this, but this one worked for me.
I could just eat these Paleo Strawberry Shortcakes all day! 🙂
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup and 2 tsp honey (divided; use ½ cup and 2 tsp at different times)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut four (I use Nutiva Organic coconut flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbs melted coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice 1 cups worth of strawberries.
- In a small bowl, put 2tsp of vanilla and 2 tsp of honey on top of the diced strawberries and mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together with a fork. Mix well.
- In another medium bowl, mix the milk, coconut butter, eggs, and ½ cup of honey with an electric mixer.
- Add the flour mixture to the milk and eggs mixture and mix with an electric mixer until everything is blended and thickens.
- Add the small bowl with the strawberries to the mixture and stir with a fork until everything is evenly mixed.
- Scoop 2 tbs of the dough onto a baking sheet covered in a cooking mat.
- Mold the dough into a flat oval shape and repeat until the rest of the dough is done. There should be enough dough to make about 14 little shortcakes.
- Cook for 20 minutes on a lower oven rack, the tops of the shortcakes will be browned.
- Let cool on the sheet for 10 minutes.
- The whipped cream recipe is in the post. :)